Saturday, July 5, 2008

Arrival in India

Let me start off by explaining who I am and why I am writing this blog. My name is Megan Humphreys and I am studying management at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. I recently joined AIESEC, an international student organization on campus, (http://www.uwec.edu/aiesec/index.html) and through that I was able to obtain an internship at the ITC Maurya hotel in New Delhi. The College of Business at UWEC has asked me to keep this blog reporting on my experiences here. In addition, I am able to receive college credit for the internship and maintain my full-time student status.
I arrived in India only about 2 hours ago. Representatives from the hotel met me at the airport and helped me get to fellow AIESECers who will show me around the city and where I will be living.
As I was riding through the city, I couldn't help but stare and smile at everything. I have never been to India before and was struck by all the things that here are completely normal. From the indiscriminate honking of horns from every vehicle on the road to the dozens of cows and bulls wandering along side of the streets and even laying in the medians to the sheer number of people I saw walking on the dirt shoulders that serve as sidewalks, everything was unfamiliar and exciting.
I was expecting to feel some trepidation and homesickeness upon my arrival in India, but at this point, I am nothing but excited and anxious to get started!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Megan
This is monty (piyush gupta). Hope you are having a good time in India, and enjoying working at Maurya Delhi. Pleas feel free to write to us if you need any help or information.

All the best, and enjoy
Monty