Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Namaste. Room Reservations. My name is Megan. How may I assist you?

My first department is Reservations. Since the Maurya is such a large hotel, reservations and front office are two separate departments. There is a staff of about 10 people whose job it is just to answer the phones and make reservations. There is also one person who all she does is check the email!
It is interesting for me as a native english speaker to hear how people interact on the phones. For instance, there is a script we have to follow and in the script there are such phrases as "How may I assist you?" and "I am delighted to inform you...". It is so formal! When I start answering phones, I will feel really strange speaking like that. But ITC (the parent company of the hotel) is a large corporation that oversees many hotels, so for them it is necessary to have those standards to keep things uniform throughout the chain.
Something else I have to adjust to is that I have to wear a uniform! Everyone, from the kitchen staff on up to supervisors have uniforms! Only when you hit upper management are you allowed to wear your own business wear (or sarees for the ladies who so choose) or if you work in a behind the scenes department like Human Resources. My uniform is a pant suit but the jacket is button up to the neck (no lapels), and then there is bow tie-like piece of cloth that snaps around the neck and tucks into the top of the jacket to give the illusion of a shirt underneath, with a matching piece of cloth to tuck into the breast pocket. I also have to wear my hair pulled back into a bun with a little hair net over the bun. Woah! With the uniform and the cafeteria food (with requisite metal lunch trays) I really feel like I'm back in school! Apparently I will be allowed to wear my own business dress once I move into marketing as I won't have daily contact with guests anymore.
And while Europeans might think Americans work too hard, I say Indians work too hard! The normal work week in India is 6 days, Mon-Sat. And its 9-hr days instead of 8. So if I arrive at 10 in the morning (which is the schedule I'm on right now) I stay until 7 at night. But luckily for me, the head of HR realizes this is also a cultural experience for me, not just a job, so he's very graciously allowed me to work only a 5-day week. That way I can go on weekend trips with the other AIESECers. Phew!
FYI: Namaste is the traditional Indian greeting. You greet someone by putting your hands palms together in front of your chest and bow your head slightly (as if in prayer) and say "Namaste".

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

well there are many ways to wish however Namaste is the most widely used to greet in India. Just for your information Commonly written "Namaste", it is pronounced as "Namastay"
with the first two a's as the first a in "America" and the
ay as in "stay", but with the t pronounced soft with the
area just behind the tip of the tongue pressing against the
upper-front teeth with no air passing

Namastey has derived from sanskrit In Sanskrit "Namas" means, "bow, obeisance, reverential salutation." It comes from the root Nam, which carries meanings of bending, bowing, humbly submitting and becoming silent. "Te" means "to you." Thus "namaste" means "I bow to you." the act of greeting is called "Namaskaram," "Namaskara" and "Namaskar" in the varied languages of the subcontinent

Kshipra said...

Hi even i completed my internship from itc maurya on 24th october this year...
i found your blog to be very interesting..
do update other stuff about your experience in hthe hotel.

Unknown said...

The Connaught - One of the famous 4 star Hotels in Delhi For Budget Stay in Delhi, Luxury Hotel Rooms in Connaught Place.Hotel Connaught also have bars which provide the guests an exciting range of drinks and cocktails.The hotels in Delhi are heaven of comfort and hospitality.Contact us-4 star hotels in delhi

Unknown said...

wonderful post, lovely information about Hotels in Delhi india.,think i will plan another trip there soon, this post really help for me thanks.